Question:
Windows Vista - Friend or Foe??
MICHAEL M
2007-06-02 09:40:12 UTC
I have recently bought an Acer 9000 series laptop with Vista Preinstalled, within 6 days i had 2 reinstall windows due 2 multiple system crashes, plus 90% of my programmes aren't compatible and I have to buy a new printer as there are no vista drivers for my lexmark x-75. As a result of all this I am considering installing XP instead of Vista but I'm not sure if my laptop will support it, I imagine it would as it's an older operating system but need advice before i proceed, look forward to reading your replies.
Nine answers:
Linds
2007-06-02 09:46:45 UTC
Yes you can install xp onto your new computer, but you must have either a new xp cd or one that is not in use by another computer, this does not mean oem cds that you may have from an older computer. If you have a store bought xp cd and it is not used by another computer you can use that for your new one.

Now since you can't downgrade, you will have to reformat the computer, and then install windows xp. If you put the xp cd in while vista is still installed it will not install it for you, as vista is newer then xp.
Kainoa
2007-06-02 10:29:23 UTC
You can certainly load XP, just need to reformat drive first as you can't install over Vista.

I've tried Vista and for most part it works fine, just issues with drivers and certain applications. It keeps reinstalling the printer driver for my new printer. Also have trouble trying to run iTunes, which Apple says will take months to come up with a patch.

My IT dept is still imaging and deploying systems with XP Pro. To me upgrading to Vista is not worth the cost or expense. But if you want to be on the leading edge, it will be costly at times, not to mention frustrating.
2007-06-02 09:45:21 UTC
I have an Acer Aspire 3680 with Vista and I have had no serious problems (sure there might be a compatibility issue here and there and I would LOVE to have some more ram...but that's it.) You just got the unlucky hand of the draw.

But I would assume that you can install backwards, it's just forwards that would be problematic (systems not being about to handle it and such.)
2007-06-02 09:44:41 UTC
I can't imagine Vista can be much different to Windows XP, but proberly afew jazzy extras. But I would give it a go, certainitly not FOE.
fred12ned
2007-06-02 10:33:04 UTC
Personally I would Choose Ubuntu Linux But Staying with windows I would have XP, it is much more compatable and faster
D G
2007-06-02 11:20:28 UTC
A lot of programmes are not compatible with Vista
Zae Boogie
2007-06-02 09:46:12 UTC
go with XP for now

Wait for the software world to catch up with Vista

Nothing is compatable with Vista now

Keep the disk around though lol
Partha Garai
2007-06-02 09:57:09 UTC