Question:
Operating system not found, won't boot, bluescreen, pxe errors, reformatting - help?! ?
2008-12-26 13:41:10 UTC
Ok, so recently the backlight in my gateway laptop failed after only having it 1.5 years, this was fine, I hooked it up to another monitor until I was going to get it fixed but the other day my laptop fell onto my wooden floor and then all of a sudden I was getting bluescreened and sometimes pxe61 errors and operating system not found errors, but somehow after running a repair option when it gave me the option I managed to log on to my computer and use it as usual but I did get a graphics driver error where it said I needed to install drivers and it was running quite slow. This was okay for a day but now this morning I tried turning my laptop on and all I keep getting is the operating system not found error no matter how many times I restart it. Is my hard drive failing? Would a simple reformat resolve all these issues except the backlight one? Sorry it's long I'm on an iPod not able to create paragraphs.
Four answers:
2008-12-26 14:04:39 UTC
If the laptop was switched on when it fell then you are going to need a new hard drive (with the exception of laptops that employ G-Force detection, such as IBM Thinkpads and Fujitsu-Siemen's Lifebooks).

Hard drives are built to withstand quite a high impact (up to 350G when not in motion - ie. powered off). However, when operating, the impact that can withstand is about 3-4G - which is going to be exceeded by any drop of more than about 5 inches.

The problems you are getting will be, in the first instance, because of hard drive damage. Repair wise, you will need to replace the hard drive (not expensive and does not generally require a technician). You will need restore disks to reinstall the operating system on the new hard drive.

With regards to the back-light on the screen, it is actually very unlikely it is the back-light that has gone. The component that actually goes is usually (and we are talking 99 out of 100 cases) is the 'inverter'. Fortunately the inverter is actually quite inexpensive, and is also straight forward to replace. So if you do take the laptop to be repaired for that fault - make sure not to let the engineer/shop assistant tell you the back light has gone because they will be charging a whole lot more to replace that than the inverter.

Even if you would prefer to buy a new laptop, it would be worth replacing the hard drive to be able to sell the laptop.
2008-12-26 13:49:18 UTC
It sounds like the hard drive went out. If the repair disk can find no OS. You might as well try to reinstall the OS again. It probably wont work and you will need a new hard drive.

Back light is the down side to owning a laptop. They only last a year or two and you need a new laptop.
Greg B
2008-12-26 13:50:38 UTC
It's highly likely that some component has comelose ie. RAM module, HDD, ect. or it even may have cracked the printed circuit board? Try opening it up and inspect it for damage or lose connections. And yes, it's even possible one of the platters in the hard drive was damaged. Consider your options, your PC was on a downhill slide and it would most likely be expensive to completely repair or you can start searching for a replacement. Consider a refurbished Laptop, many manufacterers sell them at very discounted rates. Hp for instance maybe Dell?
2016-10-19 03:11:48 UTC
That errors capacity one in all 2 issues, the two your cable out of your motherboard on your complicated force is loose OR your working equipment's grasp Boot record is donezo. you're able to verify to work out if that's the cable via booting into the BIOS via the two pressing F2 or F10 or DEL reckoning on the workstation and then checking to work out in the adventure that your hard disk exhibits up interior the boot record. If it would not its the cable or you could circulate onto attempting to repair your broken OS. you will desire an entire version of the working equipment disc for this restoration to artwork, boot into the disc (oftentimes via pressing F10 or F12) and then do a startup restoration on your disc. If it does no longer discover the OS in any respect, you will could desire to reinstall it from scratch.